Tuesday, December 4, 2012

New Goat Stalls!

I needed my horse panels back for use with my horse, so my husband built me these new stalls.  They are made with lumber and hog panels.  We already had the hog panels from the stalls we had before (the hog panel was attached to the horse panels), so I just had to buy the lumber.  Luckily we had the gates from our farm in Texas, cause that would add alot of cost.  Glad my husband thought to bring them.  (We have heard that the buyers pulled up all the fencing anyway.  We just try not to think about the labor that was involved in putting all those pens in down there... )  It is nice to have gates that are easy to operate at chore time. 

I used another piece of hog panel to fashion hay feeders on the front panels of the pens.  There is some wastage of hay, but that's ok.  We haven't been able to find straw this year cause of the drought this summer, so the waste hay can double as bedding.  Another nice feature of the stalls is that the front panel is on hinges, so when I want to clean out the stall, I can open it up fully and scoop it out with the tractor.  To stablize the front panels when the stall is in use, there are stakes pounded into the ground.  Those can be removed to open the whole stall up.  I'm overall very pleased with these stalls. 

Nosey Girls

I climbed up to get some hay, and thought it would be good to get some arial shots. 
We have alot of vertical space.  I would be nice to use that some day.

We have three of these smaller pens.  They will be just right for kidding stalls.

The corner stall is quite large and comfortably holds several goats.

The 5th stall is also large - as large as two smaller stalls.
The larger stalls are great for pen breeding.

Nubians Pepper and Sarah
I'd like to have feeders on the front so I can feed grain from outside the pens too, but I couldn't make that work.  The goats want to stand on the front of their pens whenever I appear, and they mess up any feeders positioned on the front of the pen.  One goat did manage to get her head stuck.  I can't even describe how she did it.  She wanted to eat hay from the neighboring feeder, instead of her own.  You can trust a goat to find any weaknesses in your design.  My husband says "it's always something with these goats."  I say "there's always more to learn."

No comments: