Monday, May 2, 2011

New Herd Sires

I'm bringing in some new bloodlines this year.  Alot of us in Texas are working with animals from the same original crosses.  I think we are going to need infusions of new crosses as there haven't been enough made yet (in my humble opinion).  So I am hunting down really excellent stock for the first crosses, using goat math.  Goat math is this - sell two cheap goats, buy one better goat.  When you see someone who has really pricey goats and you wonder how in the world they can afford it, I believe Goat Math is how.  Each year using goat math I try to bring in better bloodlines.  HOWEVER, you also learn over time working with bloodlines what you like.  Some of my original animals are still some of my favorites with characteristics that I do not always find elsewhere.  Here are two yearling bucks that I brought home a couple weeks ago from Pine Shadows.  They are just fabulous.  I went for Wildheart, but when I got Swashbuckler home, I wasn't sure that I didn't like him the best.  They are half brothers, and both very nice.  Pedigrees here for now:
Wild Heart
Swashbuckler

PINE SHADOWS JJ WILDHEART
Pine Shadows JJ Swashbuckler (formerly Red Ryder)

No comments: