Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Scours and Worms

I'd like to make a more poetic post about what's going on around the farm and so off more pictures of my herd, but it's going to have to wait a bit longer.

Last spring I learned alot about worms. This spring I learned alot about scours.

I purchased a little mini-Nubian bottle baby, and he had a mild case of the scours. I think it was due to the use of milk replacer and overfeeding. After the first week, he started wanting more and more milk, and I gave him too much and he scoured a little. It was easily remedied by reducing the amount of milk I was feeding him. And once Birdie's little baby was sold, I started feeding him goat milk.

I sold Strawberry Shortcake and her brother and was so sad to see them go. Sweet Pea and I went and bought two new little Nigerian does - Martha and Ginger Rogers. Martha was tiny and a little too young for weaning. She didn't want to bottlefeed. After a week she started scouring, and it was hard to get her to clear up. I used Keopectate and Neomyacin and Safeguard and probiotics. I didn't think it was worms cause her gums and eyelids were pink. But I now think she contracted them at our place after exposure to unfamiliar worms. She may also have had some coccidiosis, as the Neomyacin did seem to help. A week after clearing up, she scoured again - so I definately think it was worms (there was probably a rehatch). I did a 3 day round of dewormers - safeguard, ivermectin, safeguard, and she hasn't had a problem since.

I've not been able to get completely away from the chemical wormers. I think they are just rather difficult to control in this part of the country. It seems like the smaller the goat the more they are affected by the worms too. I have the worst trouble with the kids. I did a 3 day round with Lily cause she was doing poorly after kidding. She hasn't had chemical wormer for a few months now, and she's looking great. Birdie is doing fine as well. The full grown mini-nubians don't seem too bothered by the worms either. Princess Di did get to looking anemic, and I'm treating little Sam Houston right now for anemia. I discovered that Fer-in-sol, an iron supplement sold for human babies, is just great for Nigerian babies. Sam cheered up considerably after a few doses.

I still give the herbal wormer, but so far I haven't been able to completely get away from the chemicals. Daddy Bear has been working on new goat pens this spring, so hopefully the extra space will help reduce the worm load.

No comments: