Saturday, April 4, 2009

Herbal Deworming Program

I love the using alternative medicine whenever possible, but haven't ventured into it too much with my livestock yet. One place I really have been wanting to turn to herbals is for deworming, as the pharmaceuticals are less than reliable. I've been using an herbal dewormer from Molly's Herbals for a few months, but the cost is a little prohibitive for me to keep my whole herd on it as it grows. I was able to buy herbs in bulk online from Moterey Bay Spice Company and came up with my own herbal deworming plan. I'm just starting this, but I think buying the herbs in 1lb quantities gives me enough to worm my 13 goats and 2 horses for about 8 months.

Here are my recipes - quantities specified by weight:

Weekly Supplement - 1 heaping TBS weekly, 2 for horses
4 oz garlic (powder)
4 oz mugwort (loose - if you find powder, use a level TBS to dose)
4 oz fennel seed (powder)
4 oz nettle leaf (powder)
4 oz thyme (powder)
2 oz cayenne pepper (powder)
3 CUPS sugar (sweeten it up with something to take some of the bite out)

Power Dewormer - 1 level TBS 3 days in a row every 6 weeks or whenever there are signs of worms (exclude black walnut hull for horses)
4 oz wormwood (powder)
4 oz black walnut hull (powder)
4 oz clove (powder)
4 oz hyssop (powder)
2 oz cayenne pepper (powder)
2 CUPS sugar

The Power Dewormer should not be used with pregnant animals - luckily they are usually pregnant in the winter when the worm load is much lower. The alternating of the herbs used hopefully will guard against parasites becoming resistant to the herbs. But herbs don't just kill parasites - they also make the body an undesirable place for parasites to live. Just starting out with this, so can't claim any great success or anything, but I feel pretty good that these recipes will do the job.

WEAR A MASK WHEN YOU MIX THESE UP OR YOU WILL BE COUGHING AND SNEEZING ALOT - THEY ARE VERY POWERFUL SPICES!

No comments: